Monday, February 7, 2011

Delegation

One time, I was put in charge of a group of students as we were preparing for a mission trip to Ecuador. My job was to coordinate all the students, teach them the skits and dramas we would use in country, decide what crafts to do and make sure they were prepared, collect props and costumes, and a lot of other miscellaneous jobs. I delegated most of these duties to my more responsible team members, and I was able to supervise and make sure everything got done well. However, one year I decided that I would allow each team member to pick the job that they wanted to do. Some jobs were done well, but there were some things that didn't get done and some other team members ending up doing double duty to cover what wasn't finished. I learned about delegation, that you have be selective and delegate carefully. And then you have to follow up on the task to be sure it is done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment