Sunday, March 20, 2011

Teamwork

Through the exercises during this week's leadership class I learned a few things about teamwork.

First, I learned about myself. I tend to have a cynical view of teamwork; like it is a necessary evil in life. You have to learn to work with people, whether you like to or not. My personality (as we learned in last week's reading) dictates that I am the kind of person who would prefer to do things my self, and not rely on the group to get it done. I'll admit that sometimes I feel I could do a better job on my own, or that I could do it faster on my own. I often feel that I don't need people. But through working together on the project that we did in class, I learned that it was necessary for everyone to give his input. Each person had some knowlege of the story that was crucial to the solution. If I had tried to do it on my own, it would not have made sense, because I did not have all of the story.
Second, I learned that I'm not as smart as I'd like to think! Even after feeling pretty confident that I understood the solution to the mystery, some one would say something that I had forgotten or would bring up a point that I hadn't thought about, proving that I did, in fact need everyone in the group in order to be successful myself.
Teamwork is valuable, because the whole is more the sum of it's parts. Mathematically and physically that statement is not true, but there are some things in life that cannot be explained by either math or science, right?
One of those things is this, that we can do more together than each of us can do apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment